Contact: Kate Coulson
Title: Corporate Communications Manager
Phone: (480) 443-7000
Tempe, AZ — American Traffic Solutions (ATS) red-light safety cameras in Florida are helping law enforcement agencies investigate crimes by providing evidence to identify and locate potential suspects, as well as re-creating crash and crime scenes. From January 2014 through April 2015, ATS has provided video from red-light safety cameras to federal, state and local law enforcement agencies on more than 3,500 occasions, averaging more than 200 video requests monthly. Overall, the number of requests for video has increased by 80 percent since 2012. Here are just a few examples of crimes where road safety cameras provided video footage for police investigation:
- In West Palm Beach, law enforcement used red-light safety camera video footage to solve a fatal motorcycle crash when witnesses gave conflicting statements. http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-palm-beach-county/west-palm-beach/motorcyclist-killed-in-west-palm-beach-wreck
- In Gulfport, a red-light safety camera captured a hit-and-run crash where a 4-year-old was injured. The crash was so severe that the vehicle’s car battery was thrown into the street. http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/28801402/2015/04/14/hit-and-run-crash-caught-on-red-light-camera
- In Miami, red-light safety cameras captured two persons fleeing the scene of a fatal hit-and-run crash. http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/05/11/deadly-miami-hit-run-crash/
- Two 10-year-old children in Ocoee were riding bikes when they were hit by a driver that fled the scene. Red-light safety camera video showed the suspect vehicle in the area. http://www.clickorlando.com/news/video-released-in-ocoee-hitandrun-that-critically-injured-girl/31065492
- Miami Springs’ red-light safety cameras captured a fatal fiery crash caused by a speeding driver. http://www.local10.com/news/lejeune-road-nw-36-street-intersection-shut-down-after-fatal-crash/32249554
- Officers in Temple Terrace used video to re-create a violent crash where the driver of a pickup truck was ejected and a 7 year-old child was tragically killed. http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/temple-terrace-crash-kills-two-including-7-year-old-girl/2229144
- Red-light safety cameras captured a violent intersection crash in Sarasota where a small dog was ejected from the back of a pickup truck. http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/dog-survives-after-being-launched-car-during-horrific-crash
For a video of recent Florida red-light running collisions and near misses visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRp8T-DpPh0.
About American Traffic Solutions:
ATS is proud to be the market leader in road safety camera installations in North America, and in Florida where ATS contracts with Apopka, Hillsborough County, Miami and more than 60 other cities. Nationally, ATS has more than 3,200 installed red-light, speed and school bus stop arm safety cameras serving more than 30 million people. ATS has contracts in nearly 300 communities in 20 states and Washington, D.C. For more information, please visit: www.atsol.com.